29 December 2013

New Year

A new calendar year is almost upon us.  

During the Advent season, the pastor of my church has been using John 3:16-17 as the basis of all the sermons which covered each Advent Sunday, Christmas Eve, and even today's sermon. To be honest, we missed a sermon because of the ice storm but he fit it in the next week. 

I learned a few things from Pastor Gene:

For God so LOVED the world... (try inserting your name here)

Here's what I mean - For God so LOVED Lynn Hallbrooks...

God LOVES me!!

Here's how the NRSV version of John 3:16 -17 reads:

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life.

"Indeed, God did not send the Son into the world to condemn the world but in order that the world might be saved through him."


Jesus was God's gift to the world.  Jesus came down to us as a little baby raised as flesh and died for the world's sins.  (Now insert your name here) 

Jesus was born and died for Lynn Hallbrooks' sins. 

I will tell you that I have sinned - try as I might, I'm still a sinner.  I'm grateful that God gave his Son, Jesus as a present for all mankind.  I'm glad that Jesus gave his life for me.  

Christmas Eve, Pastor Gene took a small candle and used it as a symbolic catalyst from the Christ candle to spread  light into the darkness that is the world. He lit a candle on each front pew... we spread the light among our fellow church goers.  We sang Silent Night then he released us out into the cold dark night.  

You know what I learned - that even if your light goes out - you can get it back with help of a fellow Christian.  All you have to do is ask.  

So if you feel that your light is flickering - maybe you need to ask someone to help you... or you can always go to God in prayer.  

God Loves His Children  - Did you know that we are Heirs to God through and with Jesus?  

May each of your days' be filled with Hope - Peace - Joy - Love

Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment